Jim Laurie is a restoration biologist and co-founder of Biodiversity for a Livable Climate. He has been learning how to restore lands and waters for 30 years and was the manager of the Vermont “Living Machine” which treated 80,000 gallons of sewage per day and was designed by ecological visionary John Todd. For 20 years he was a biologist and technical trainer in the chemical industry in Houston, TX, where his work with ecological systems created high quality water from toxic wastewater.
Jim has studied Holistic Management of grasslands with Allan Savory and the Savory Institute in Texas, Colorado and Montana. In Maryland, he built a lab to study fungi and grow mushrooms learning from the work of Paul Stamets (fungi.com). He worked with the International Wolf Center in Minnesota learning about predators and the biology of the north woods.
Jim loves sharing about these diverse experiences with curious folks of all ages. He has really enjoyed teaching science and ecology to Homeschool students in the Boston area.
Other Conferences and Vidoes
- Blessed Unrest: Growing a Future for Life on Earth
- Biology as told by Environmental Leaders of the Future
- Environmental Leaders of the Future Q&A
- Introduction for the Blessed Unrest with Robert Labaree
- Restoring Oceans, Restoring Climate: Facing Fire & Ice, Food & Water, Floods & Droughts
- The History of the Earth's Oceans
- Cooperative Restoration to Prevent Disasters
- Let’s Make Surface Area to End the Drought and Cool the Climate with Jim Laurie
- The Oceans and the Biosphere
- The Power and Promise of Biodiversity: Visions of Restoring Land, Sea and Climate
- Diversity of Life: The Oceans and the Gulf of Maine with Jim Laurie
- Restoring Bodies of Water with Peter Lawrence, Alyssa Novak, and Annie, Hayden and Lynus
- How Biodiversity Wriggled and Crawled Out of the Ocean and Conquered the Land with Jim Laurie
- Restoring Water Cycles to Reverse Global Warming, Tufts 2015
- Jim Laurie: Closing the Nutrient Loop
- Jim Laurie & His Homeschool AP Biology Students: Nature Wants to Be Wet
- Climate, Biodiversity, and Survival: Listening to the Voices of Nature
- Scenario 300: Making Climate Cool!
- Jim Laurie (Biodiversity for a Livable Climate) & Kris Nichols (Rodale Institute) Q&A
- Jim Laurie: Back to 300 (Nature Wants to be Wet and Cool)
- Landscape Heroes: Carbon, Water and Biodiversity
- Restoring Ecosystems to Reverse Global Warming
- Jim Laurie: Nature Does 90% of the Work
- Soil Ecosystem Health: From Fungi & Nematodes to Beetles & Earthworms with Jim Laurie
- Reversing Global Warming: Carbon Farming for Food, Health, Prosperity, and Planet!
- Restoring Ecosystems to Reverse Global Warming, Washington D.C. 2015