Jim Laurie, Restoration Ecologist, is a biologist from Rice University and is a pioneer in biological remediation of waste water. He was the technical manager of the world’s largest “Living Machine” project to clean raw municipal sewage with no toxic chemicals. The facility, through a grant from the EPA, processed 80,000 gallons/day using the “living machine” methodology invented by ecological visionary, and Buckminster Fuller Award recipient, John Todd.
Prior to that, for twenty years Jim was a biologist and trainer in the chemical industry in Houston, TX, where his work with living machines resulted in processing effluent cleaner than possible with conventional technology. Jim has also been a passionate advocate for Holistic Management of grasslands in the past decade. He began studying with Allan Savory twenty years ago in Texas, has spoken about Holistic Management at Harvard, MIT, Tufts, the Stockholm Environment Institute, and at meetings of the Massachusetts Climate Action Network (MCAN) and Northeast Organic Farmers Association (NOFA), and has been instrumental in spreading the message in New England. Jim is also co-founder of a lively and sophisticated Google Group, Soil-Age, and he invites you to join!
Other Conferences and Vidoes
- Blessed Unrest: Growing a Future for Life on Earth
- Biology as told by Environmental Leaders of the Future
- Environmental Leaders of the Future Q&A
- Introduction for the Blessed Unrest with Robert Labaree
- Restoring Oceans, Restoring Climate: Facing Fire & Ice, Food & Water, Floods & Droughts
- The History of the Earth's Oceans
- Cooperative Restoration to Prevent Disasters
- Let’s Make Surface Area to End the Drought and Cool the Climate with Jim Laurie
- The Oceans and the Biosphere
- The Power and Promise of Biodiversity: Visions of Restoring Land, Sea and Climate
- Diversity of Life: The Oceans and the Gulf of Maine with Jim Laurie
- Restoring Bodies of Water with Peter Lawrence, Alyssa Novak, and Annie, Hayden and Lynus
- How Biodiversity Wriggled and Crawled Out of the Ocean and Conquered the Land with Jim Laurie
- Restoring Water Cycles to Reverse Global Warming, Tufts 2015
- Jim Laurie: Closing the Nutrient Loop
- Jim Laurie & His Homeschool AP Biology Students: Nature Wants to Be Wet
- Climate, Biodiversity, and Survival: Listening to the Voices of Nature
- Climate Reckoning: Paths to an Earth Restored
- The Big Picture, Rapid Change, and Paths to Restoration with Jim Laurie
- Creating the Future We Want with Symbiosis Team
- Pathways to a Restored Planet: Scenario 300 with Jim Laurie
- Scenario 300: Making Climate Cool!
- Jim Laurie (Biodiversity for a Livable Climate) & Kris Nichols (Rodale Institute) Q&A
- Jim Laurie: Back to 300 (Nature Wants to be Wet and Cool)
- Landscape Heroes: Carbon, Water and Biodiversity
- Reversing Global Warming: Carbon Farming for Food, Health, Prosperity, and Planet!
- Restoring Ecosystems to Reverse Global Warming, Washington D.C. 2015