Jim Laurie, Restoration Ecologist, is a biologist from Rice University and is a pioneer in biological remediation of waste water. He was the technical manager of the world’s largest “Living Machine” project to clean raw municipal sewage with no toxic chemicals. The facility, through a grant from the EPA, processed 80,000 gallons/day using the “living machine” methodology invented by ecological visionary, and Buckminster Fuller Award recipient, John Todd.
Prior to that, for twenty years Jim was a biologist and trainer in the chemical industry in Houston, TX, where his work with living machines resulted in processing effluent cleaner than possible with conventional technology. Jim has also been a passionate advocate for Holistic Management of grasslands in the past decade. He began studying with Allan Savory twenty years ago in Texas, has spoken about Holistic Management at Harvard, MIT, Tufts, the Stockholm Environment Institute, and at meetings of the Massachusetts Climate Action Network (MCAN) and Northeast Organic Farmers Association (NOFA), and has been instrumental in spreading the message in New England. Jim is also co-founder of a lively and sophisticated Google Group, Soil-Age, and he invites you to join!
Other Conferences and Vidoes
- Blessed Unrest: Growing a Future for Life on Earth
- Jim Laurie and Home Schoolers: Environmental Leaders of the Future
- Jim Laurie and Home Schoolers: Environmental Leaders of the Future Q&A
- Robert Labaree: Introduction for Blessed Unrest conference
- Restoring Oceans, Restoring Climate: Facing Fire & Ice, Food & Water, Floods & Droughts
- Homeschool Symbiosis Team: Where did the Oceans come from? What can be their future?
- Jim Laurie, Thomas Goreau, Mick Devin, Dan Distel, Brian von Herzen & Alfredo Quarto: Q&A
- Jim Laurie: Let’s Make Surface Area to End the Drought and Cool the Climate
- Homeschool Symbiosis Team, George Buckley & Mark McMenamin Q&A
- The Power and Promise of Biodiversity: Visions of Restoring Land, Sea and Climate
- Jim Laurie: Diversity of Life- The Oceans and the Gulf of Maine
- Peter Lawrence, Alyssa Novak, and homeschoolers Annie, Hayden and Lynus: Q&A
- Jim Laurie: How Biodiversity Wriggled and Crawled Out of the Ocean and Conquered the Land
- Climate, Biodiversity, and Survival: Listening to the Voices of Nature
- Climate Reckoning: Paths to an Earth Restored
- Jim Laurie: The Big Picture – Rapid Change – Paths to Restoration
- Symbiosis Team: Creating the Future We Want
- Jim Laurie: Pathways to a Restored Planet – Scenario 300
- Scenario 300: Making Climate Cool!
- Jim Laurie (Biodiversity for a Livable Climate) & Kris Nichols (Rodale Institute) Q&A
- Jim Laurie: Back to 300 (Nature Wants to be Wet and Cool)
- Landscape Heroes: Carbon, Water and Biodiversity
- Restoring Ecosystems to Reverse Global Warming
- Jim Laurie: Nature Does 90% of the Work
- Jim Laurie: Soil Ecosystem Health- From Fungi & Nematodes to Beetles & Earthworms
- Reversing Global Warming: Carbon Farming for Food, Health, Prosperity, and Planet!
- Restoring Ecosystems to Reverse Global Warming, Washington D.C. 2015